Thursday, October 6, 2011

"I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years!"

I have a bit of a funny story today.  It involves 4 ladies, in their 70's I'm assuming.  They are dressed in their Sunday best.  Pant suits, heels, jewelry to match, big hair, and lots of make up with an attitude to match.  Oh, and they all have accents...New York or New Jersey perhaps.

I was scheduled to open this particular day.  We usually have 2 openers for the first couple of hours.  This is usually a good thing because we almost always get a nice little pop of business before the rest of the waitstaff arrive.

It was my turn in the rotation.  I observed 2 older women wander in.  David, the host, greeted them with a smile and asked how many in their party.  They informed him that there would be 4 and they would like a booth by the window.  He happily obliged.

After the ladies were seated I grabbed my bev naps and made my way to greet the women.  I was thinking to myself that it was just too cute, these ladies, all done up.  They must be having a girls night.  This was going to be fun...and easy...or so so I thought.

After introducing myself as being their server for the evening I was met with a look of disapproval from the woman who was in the #3 position at the table.  She expressed to me that she thought the young man who had showed them to their table would be waiting on them and the tone of her voice let me know that she was VERY disappointed.  I could tell immediately that this was going to be a tough table.  Both women ordered water with lemon and said they would like to wait for their friends to arrive before they ordered.  Fine by me!

Over the next half hour I checked on the ladies, each time being informed by #3 that her friends are coming and that they were not in a hurry but in a tone that was as cold as ice.  I told #3 that I was sorry and that I was not trying to rush them.  I was just making sure all was well and that they weren't in need of anything.

At this point, I have already come to the conclusion that #3 was probably the leader of the pack.  Let me elaborate.  She was very vocal, loudly vocal.  She seemed annoyed by everything and everyone.  She was going to be in a bad mood whether I liked it or not.  No matter how perfect I was going to try to make her experience, she was not going to be happy about anything.  All I could think..."Kill 'em with kindness!".

Finally, the rest of the group arrived.  I automatically brought them water, with lemon, and began my menu presentation.  I had not even gotten through an entire sentence before I was rudely cut off by, you guessed it, #3.  "I see that you have clams for your special tonight.  I don't like clams!  Do you have mussels?" she barked at me.  Now, if she would have let me continue with a description of our menu she would have been informed that we do, in fact, have mussels and that they were our most popular dish.  It took me about ten minutes to get through the presentation.  I have never answered so many questions in my life.  For a minute I thought I was being tested on my menu knowledge and when I returned to the kitchen I would be approached by my manager with a smile and a big pat on the back for doing such a great job.  Just daydreaming I guess.

Anyways, #3 proceeded to ask me question after question after question.  Mostly about the prices.  See, the clams were $13 and the mussels were $9.  She wanted an explanation as to why there was such a price difference since they were prepared basically the same way.  She couldn't afford $13.  That was just too expensive.  On top of that, she doesn't eat a lot so she wanted something small but filling.  In the end, after all the questions, she ended up getting the clams($13) with an added salad($3).  She ordered for the rest of the ladies at the table, and yes, she asked a million and 1 questions, and 20 minutes later I was finally done taking their order.  WHEW!

Here's a rundown on their order...1 appetizer, 4 salads, and 4 entrees.  Our steps of service are...drinks, appetizers, bread and salads together, dinner, then dessert with coffee.  After placing the order I made my way back to the table to refill water and inform the ladies that their appetizer would be out shortly.  Surprise, surprise!  #3, almost yelling, wanted to know why I hadn't brought the bread to the table yet.  With a great big smile on my face I replied that we usually serve the bread with the salads but if she would like, I would be "happy" to bring her bread out before.  "Well, what do you think?" she said to me.  Funny, I know what I thought and it didn't have anything to do with bread, if you know what I mean.

Making this long story short, the entire experience was a nightmare, and the tip definitely did not make it worth it, but I had a few laughs throughout the whole ordeal when normally I would have let it ruin my entire night.  Why?  Well, picture it.  Four older ladies, all done up, looking a hot mess, with New York accents, and grumpy as hell.  It's a little funny, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment