Monday, October 10, 2011

"You're the Boss....I Guess"

I haven't wrote in a couple, sorry, but life has been going pretty good in all departments lately.  I do have ONE complaint however.  My boss!  Technically I have 3 bosses, 2 of which are men.  The head honcho of the place is a woman and thank goodness for that.  I get along with all of my managers but one of them is slowly getting under my skin.

I have been in the restaurant business for 18 years now.  I graduated culinary school and have plans to open my own establishment when I retire.  Over the years I have rarely worked for women.  It seems that this business is dominated my men and I think that's a real shame.  In my opinion, and experience, I have come to realize that men seem to abuse their position of power more than women.  I'll explain.

My relationship with our GM/Owner is great.  She takes pride in her work.  She is stern but fair.  Very fair.  I like that about her.  I am continually taking notes.  Always carefully watching how she makes business decisions, her dealings with customers, how she interacts with staff, etc.  She has a work ethic that is out of this world.  She has had my respect from day one.  She is very serious about her business but can also let loose enough to have a normal conversation with one of her employees.  There is no favoritism or fraternization with her, which is one of the things I like about her the most.

Now, with manager #3.  He's a pretty laid back cat.  He's the executive chef.  Around my age...which I will not divulge.  He also takes his job very serious and doesn't play favorites, although he does hang out with some of the guys at work, outside of work.  Guys stuff, you know, like football, golfing, working out.  He can crack a pretty funny joke here and there and isn't afraid relax a little if needed.

Then, there is our Asst. Manager.  He's a big problem in my book although he will not ever know it.  Not only does he play faves but he is 100% unfair.  I am convinced that I have to constantly call out sick, show up late to work, not prebus my tables, make sure I don't run any food or drinks, and completely forget to do my running side work, to be able to get a good section on days that he works.  Those kind of employees seem to get everywhere with him when I can't get anywhere. 

I am an extremely great employee.  I always do ALL of my work and some.  I help anyone who needs it. I have, not one single time, never been late for work.  I also have never called out sick, I had my shifts covered by other employees instead, otherwise I would go to work regardless.  I keep my station immaculate and help others do the same.  I feel I sometimes am picking up a lot of slack but hey, whose keeping track right?  I have never had a customer complaint and my comps are one of the lowest there.

So tell me why this mf don't see that and reward me accordingly.  This summer he had taken an extended amount of time off, 3 months, and it was the most glorious 3 months ever.  Stations were rotated properly and everyone got a fair shot at making some really good money.  It was like we were all together in this thing we call hospitality and things ran so smoothly all summer long.  Then he comes back and everything goes down in shambles.  Ever since his return I have gotten a good station maybe 3 or 4 times. I haven't broke $100 one time.  However, during our slowest time of the year(summer), I made over $100 every shift.  I have not been allowed to clock in early, not once, but when certain other employees come to work 1, maybe 2, hours early they are allowed to do so.  This burns me up so bad I almost cannot write this entry.  What the hell!

He has reminded me why I have always hated working for men.  I'm not saying that all male bosses are like this but 99% of the one's I have worked for, have been.  I have been considering bringing this to my GM's attention but I really don't want to be a tattle tail or seem like a complainer.  What should I do?  HELP PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment