Monday, September 19, 2011

Is It Really That Stressful?

Hello all.  I have recently came down with the flu so I am apologizing in advance if my entry today sounds random.  So back to bed I go...enjoy!

Waiting tables can sometimes be very stressful but is it really that bad? 

A few days ago, after a dry spell, business started picking up a little at work.  September is our slowest month of the year.  The entire waitstaff have been fighting for shifts for about a month now so it was a breath of fresh air to finally have a full house for the past few days. It was "good eatin" for all involved.

Sometimes, after a long, busy, night, after I am home and trying to wind down, I will go over some of the events of the evening.  One of the things that always seems to pop up is the story of the server that was so weeded he/she lost their damn mind.  I am picturing a scene from the Exorcist right now.  Red, bulging eyes, tongue flaring out of the mouth throwing obscenities everywhere, violent thrashing of the body...ew!

I have come to the realization that some of my coworkers are possessed.  I mean is it really that bad?  Sure, I have had many a night where I found myself in a position when I thought I would never get caught up, but nobody sees that part of me.  Cathy, one of my "at work" friends, said to me the other day, "Terry, don't you ever get frustrated, mad, frazzled when you are working?  You seem so calm all the time.  And why are you always smiling?  Do you like working here that much?" .  I responded, smile and all, " This is a piece of cake.  I love serving, that's all.". I really don't understand how serving could affect someone so badly that it caused them to completely lose their minds.  My thought is that maybe these people aren't very organized, in there heads and in their lives.

My job is the least stressful part of my life.  I get to meet new and interesting people all the time.  It's really weird but you know how some people escape from their lives by maybe meditating, taking a class, having a night on the town?  Well, my escape is work.  I only work approximately 20-30 hours a week but it's the best 20-30 hours.  Why?  I really don't know, I just really like my job.
If you are serving and find yourself slowly being pulled into insanity at work might I suggest something before you start randomly screaming at people for no reason?  Chill the "f" out!!!  Come to work with a plan.  Get yourself together man!  It is, however, just serving.  It's not that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment