Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How Hospitable are You?

Today was my day off.  Usually, on my off days, I spend some quality time with the kids, I have 3 girls.  I almost always take them out to dinner and ice cream.  This gives them some "mommy" time and allows me to get a rundown on some of the things that are going on in their lives.  They are 10, 11, and 16. 

Today I let them pick where they wanted to go.  Most of the time we go to a place where we can sit down but today they just wanted a burger and fries.  My middle daughter had a craving for some cheese fries so it was decided that we would go to a popular food chain that I will not mention.

So, after deciding what everyone was going to order I pulled into the drive thru and this is how the conversation went:

"Can I take your order?" - Notice there wasn't a hello or welcome or anything of such a nature.

Me: "Yes, I would like 2 regular cheeseburgers...."

"Is that it?" - I was rudely cut off.

Me: "No ma'am, I would also like 2 small fries, 1 roadhouse bacon burger..."

"Will that be all?" - Cut off again.

Me: "Um, no.  Could I get 2 bacon cheddar cheese fries please and that will be all thank you."

I heard a response but the words weren't recognizable.

Now, I am a bit irritated but I'm thinking that maybe this lady will change her tone once I pull up to pay.  As I make my way to the window I see it open and the woman sticks her head out the window to wait for me pull ahead.  I get to the window....

"$14.58" - then she walks away.

There was no "That will be $14.58 please." and not even a smile.  She just told me my total and walked away from me before I could even give her my money.  I then proceeded to sit there for 5 minutes, yes I counted,  all the while listening to her and her fellow coworkers make fun a customer that had just left.
She finally returned with my food and again I was greeted with...

"$14.58" - I say nothing and hand her exact change.

"Here" - She said as she handed me my bag.  She didn't say "Thank You" or even tell me to "Have a good evening".

What bothers me about this entire encounter was that the woman who had served me was a manager.  If the manager was presenting herself in that fashion I can just imagine how her employees carry themselves when working.

I have asked myself so many times over the years what ever happened to good old fashioned customer service.  Remember the days when you'd go to a place, any place, and be greeted with smiles.  People used to make you feel welcome and were willing, and able, to help you with anything you may need.  They always new the answer to your questions and were happy to oblige.

Nowadays, it's like nobody cares about anything.  You are made to feel like you are inconveniencing the person who you are asking to help you.  It's like you are being made to feel stupid.  Like, how dare I invade your personal space to ask if you may direct me the the women's department.  Or what the hell was I thinking when I called to get my account balance for my utility bill.  So irresponsible of me not to pack my lunch today and instead, I decided to patronize your establishment for some much needed nourishment.  I am such a terrible person.  BULLSHIT!!!

It just burns me up inside how these so called "customer service" people act.  What the hell did I ever do to you?!  Not a goddamn thing.  I deserve a little respect.  Especially since the money I am spending at your place of business contributes to your salary.  If you don't like your job then find a new profession.  If you do like your job then act like it.  If I am courteous and respectful to you then you should give the same in return.  I am sorry your day may not be going the way you wanted it to go but I am not "Crazy Larry" who just cursed you out for putting ketchup on his burger when he specifically told you no ketchup.  I am me, a totally different customer.  One who spoke nicely to you and said please and thank you.  I didn't raise my voice and even gave you a compliment.  SO GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE!  Stop trying to spread your misery onto to me.  You'll be surprised at how a smile can make the biggest difference.  Just try it...at least when you are waiting on me, please?  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment